Emmie's Birth Story

2017 had just ended and I was still pregnant. My due date was December 31st and I thought for sure that she was going to be born early. I mean I could feel as though she was going to fall out of me for weeks when I went on my walks! While I was sad she had not arrived yet, I was happy that she was full term and healthy.

 Ready to pop!

Ready to pop!

New years morning I couldn't fall asleep even though I had spent the day cleaning. The entire day I had an amazing surge of energy and deep cleaned the house. Yes, even behind the couch and all the baseboards! Nesting was at its peak! I stayed up to see my husband come new years eve since he had to work a late shift. We watched some shows for a few hours and went to bed. At around 4 am I felt a cramp. It was not like my braxton hicks, it was like a period cramp but just a bit more uncomfortable. 

With my first birth, I never felt the contractions in the beginning. While I was hooked up to a monitor the nurse asked me if I felt anything. I looked at her strangely because I honestly felt nothing. She said I was having very strong contractions and she just couldn't understand why I was just laying there not in pain! Only until they had given me pitocin a few hours later is when I understood what a true contraction felt like. The only idea of a contraction I had was that they were very hard, close and extremely painful thanks to pitocin. The contractions I was having new years morning were slightly uncomfortable but they kept coming back. I used my handy dandy app to count the minutes in between and sure enough, they were each about 5 minutes a part. 

I wanted to wake my husband up but I knew he had to get up early to go to work. My goal this birth was to labor as long as possible at home so that I wouldn't need to get any unneeded procedures or drugs at the hospital like my first birth.

The hours went by, I watched youtube videos in bed as the contractions grew stronger. My husband woke up to go to work and I told him I had been having contractions all morning long. He began freaking out and wanted to call into work sick. I told him I'd be fine and I could possibly be in labor for the entire day so he may as well go in. He only works 15 minutes away so if he did have to leave it wouldn't be that long of a drive back.

I got up and made myself a sandwich because I knew it'll probably be my last meal for a while. Hubs went off to work and I got cozy on the couch after having a nice hot shower.

By 8:30 am the contractions started to get very intense and much more painful where it was hard to talk. I now regretted sending my husband off to work. Should I just ask my neighbor to take me to the hospital?! I called my husband and he insisted he come home and we all go down to labor and delivery together. I make a quick phone call to the hospital to let them know I was on my way. Luckily I live 8 minutes away from the hospital!

By 10 am we were checked in and I was trying my best to answer the nurses questions as the contractions came on stronger. She checked me and I was at 6 cm which meant I was allowed to stay! The last thing I wanted was to be told to go home!

I transferred to my birth room and was so happy my midwife was there. It was not her day to be delivering and it was a holiday, but she came in anyway! I was so thankful! After getting hooked up to the IV and monitors I labored for a few hours. By 1 pm I was at 8 cm and my midwife broke my water.

I was hoping that it would move things along a bit but it took a while. After my water broke the contractions were almost unbearable. I was experiencing back labor and let me tell you, it is the worse thing ever! I mean nothing about labor is easy, but add back labor and all hell just broke loose. Did I mention I had a cold so I couldn't breathe well. All the nurses were telling me to breathe as I was sobbing, "I can't! My nose is plugged!!"

I honestly felt like I was going to pass out half and hour into the back labor. My midwife kept asking if I felt pressure but I didn't know what was happening, it was a blur. My body was spazing out and my mind was slowly failing me. I screamed for my husband to tell them to get me the epidural. Of course he tried to convince me otherwise. 

I finally convinced everyone that I needed the epidural unless they all wanted me to pass out. They said they would get the anesthesiologist but they didn't know how long it would be.

Well, my body was having other plans at this point. The pressure that my midwife kept asking me about came on suddenly. I screamed at my husband to get the nurses but before he could leave the room they already knew and were running in. 

My midwife quickly broke me the news that the epidural was going to be a no go. I was too far along now and baby was coming out any moment! I was more relieved than upset that I couldn't get the epidural because I knew it would all be over soon.

Three pushes later our little Emmie was born. They put her on my chest and the first thing I said was "She's so tiny!" I forgotten how small newborn babies are. She was perfect and I couldn't believe what just happened. My husband kept telling me I was a "champ" and he could never do what I just did. I honestly never thought I could do what I just did. 

 Hello baby! The moment they put her in my arms.

Hello baby! The moment they put her in my arms.

While I didn't have the birth I wanted, when does anyone really? Birth stories are awesome and amazing to read because they can be so spontaneous and crazy. If you are a first time mom reading this, just know that everything will happen for a reason. You got this, and even if you don't, there are such amazing nurses, midwives and doctors who will help you through it. Each time I've given birth I've been so lucky to have such supportive people in the delivery room with me.